Thursday, October 19, 2006

T - 3 days

The move date approaches ever nearer. I'm afraid the blog hasn't been very interesting lately, as I've been rather preoccupied with the whole moving thing.

The floor is nearly finished. The hardwood part seems to be completely done - they just need to do the tiling in the foyer and put the baseboards on. They've got 2 full days to do it before we move in on Sunday. I'm extremely paranoid that we or the movers will manage to scratch the brand new floor when we move in - hopefully I will be proven wrong! I got some good tips on avoiding scratches so I'm trying to be optimistic.

I promise once we've moved and unpacked, I'll start taking some pictures again. Actually, I think I'll take some with my cellphone just for fun (please excuse the poor picture quality).

I have been knitting in the meantime, but haven't been photographing or posting about it. I joined the Monthly Dishcloths KAL group, and knitted the "early October" dishcloth. Amusingly, it turned out to be a pattern of a cat, which is identical (or near enough) to the cloth my secret pal sent me in the Summer Fling swap. Now my only two hand-knitted cloths are matching. I think of hers as a facecloth, though, because it's so soft and nice. Mine was knitted out of crappy Michael's cotton (Bernat Handicrafter) which isn't so soft, so I think of it as a dishcloth.
19-10-06_2113.jpg

I'm also still working away at my fleet of shopping bags. I now have five (or I thought I had 5, till I tried to photograph them, and found only 4). They evolve a little bit each time I make a new one. I think it's almost down to a science now. For my next one, I'm going to try using lace-weight cotton, to see if I can create a strong, large shopping bag that will nonetheless be able to fit easily into my purse and extracted when required. In theory I think it should work. The handles may be uncomfortable, though. In this pic they're arrange top-to-bottom in order of making. The bi-coloured one is my first attempt, and the one on the bottom right is my latest. The pattern calls for making an I-cord shoulder strap, but I wanted bags for grocery shopping, so I modified it to I-cord handles on the first two attempts. It was annoying to do, and looked kinda ugly, so on my latest attempts I've been casting off a few stitches (10-12, not sure exactly, I just cast off till it fits my hand), and then casting them back on during the next row. That's much easier, and I think it makes a nicer looking handle, too.
19-10-06_2115.jpg

My cat seems to like them, anyways. (And here you also get a good view of the unassembled boxes I have yet to fill.)
19-10-06_2117.jpg

And my never-ending Branching Rib pullover is still in process. I'm now about 6 inches into the second sleeve, so the end is in sight. I'd like to finish it by mid-November, so that it gets finished within a year of starting it. That would be good.

1 comment:

peri said...

Good luck with your move today - I hope it all goes as smooth as HipKnits silk.

Cool kitty - i love black and white babies.